Pretty Pigs, Alvecote


 Situated near a flood plain of the River Anker The Pretty Pigs used to be what you might call a ‘proper pub’ with the emphasis on drinking, darts, dominoes etc. Sadly it’s now a ‘welcoming family-friendly pub’ with the main focus being on food. I believe this is what is referred to as progress !!

A quick peek inside the pub tells you all you need to know..




Yep, if you like screaming brats and youngsters that run round a pub then you’ll love this place. With pushchairs and high chairs aplenty The Pigs (as it’s know locally) is where the good folk of Amington, Shuttington and Alvecote (that have been blessed with children) flock to in their numbers to be fed and watered. 

My recent visit offered both good and bad news for real ale drinkers, the good news was that there were three working hand pull pumps, not so good was the fact that all three were Marston’s Pedigree. I bet there’s more than one variety of Fruit Shoots !!

Although the pub itself dates back to 1828 and the actual roadside building (and decent beer garden) is quite impressive, the inside could be described as functional at best..



It does a job and in the pub’s defence it is very popular particularly on a Sunday when hordes of families turn up for the carvery. As much as it pains me to admit it (being a bloke who likes a pub to be a pub as well being a subscriber to the seemingly outdated kids should be seen and not heard viewpoint) the carvery at The Pigs is good. Admittedly the plates have shrunk over the years and my better half begrudgingly offers me a smile when I state, once again, that the plates are more like saucers these days as I come back gingerly from the food counter realising that I’ve overdone it with the roast potatoes in a scene reminiscent of the Double or Drop game that used to feature on Crackerjack!!


If balancing challenges are your thing fear not, the pub does an all you can eat breakfast everyday from 9am with chips being a possibly unnecessary menu item, not I hasten to add from a healthy eating perspective more because they take up too much room on your saucer…..sorry I can’t help myself !!

It will come as no surprise to discover that there is a kids menu including a choice of desserts. I can’t help thinking that the option of fresh orange segments is a largely ignored box ticking exercise particularly as bottomless ice cream sundaes and chocolate chip cookies with ice cream are the alternatives !!

Even a trip to the lavatory does not escape you from the child friendly feel of the place..


Reading this back I’ve probably done The Pigs  a disservice. Its popularity shows that there is a market for this type of pub and miserable gits like myself need to accept that spit n sawdust pubs are very much in decline so I need to embrace this type of place….

An apple and blackcurrant Fruit Shoot please landlord and can I have some change for the toy grab machine?!! 



Comments

  1. Looks very similar to The Cherry Tree in Willington in that it is cavernous but carvery led and full of ankle biters....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment