Market Vaults


 When parents are asked to name their favourite child they often squirm, fidget uncomfortably and after a few awkward seconds respond with the standard I love them all the same. I think I’d be similar if someone asked me to name my favourite Tamworth pub, the better ones I like for different reasons. However if pressed and asked to name a Tamworth must visit pub it’d probably be The Market Vaults. 

The expression traditional British pub gets used too frequently but I really believe that The Market Vaults is the epitome of this phrase. The pub is situated on Market St and on market days it is close enough to the market stall selling pet treats, including pigs trotters, that you can smell almost the pork. In fact there is a certain degree of irony to this given the fact that pub is also in the shadow of the founder of the modern day police force Sir Robert Peel. 

I understand the pub is a Grade 2 listed building and rumour has it that there are secret underground tunnels linking the pub to the adjacent Tamworth Castle where knights of the realm would slip into the pub for a tipple unnoticed. I wish I’d been made aware of this information during lockdown, I could’ve snuck in for a ‘business meeting’. 

The pub has two cosy snugs and the good news for those who are worried about increases to utility bills is that both contain real fires so you two can sit round the fire and recreate that classic scene from Blazing Saddles !!! More of that later..

I took a photo in the front room during my most recent visit and have realised that I am to photography what a villa fan is humility…


I have managed to capture my pint, a plastic warning sign and a half full basket of logs so I recommend you visit the pub’s website  which includes some proper photos illustrating the true glory of this fine establishment. 

I did manage to capture a better photo of some fellow customers who visited that night..


Now Hells Angels have got a bit of fearsome reputation (and I’d started going through the lyrics to Ace of Spades in my mind in case I got quizzed) but this group couldn’t have been more polite and well mannered. I did laugh (under my breath obviously) however when I noticed that one of the group had Probationary Outlaw on the back of his leather jacket. I’m not sure what the job description of this particular role is, I wonder if he has got stabilisers on his Harley?!! 

The pub has got a good reputation for its no nonsense lunches, one review even went so far as to say they serve the best Sunday roast in Staffordshire. However it was another type of menu I observed pinned to the pub’s notice board that caught my eye…


The first couple of categories remind me of some of things that were on offer when I went to Thailand…so I’m led to believe anyway !!

The beer garden is also impressive, it’s partly covered so you need to get in quick to get one of the tables at the back when the sun shines but obviously that only becomes a requirement on about ten days a year. By the way there’s no swing, slide, sand pit etc however there are bowls with water for dogs. I’ll leave it that but that gets a big thumbs up from miserable old me !! 

I can not stress how friendly current owners Kim and Ian and their staff are. I do have an amusing story about one (female) member of the bar staff. I was having a drink outside one night and as she reached over to collect the empty pint glasses on my table she broke wind with such velocity that I’m sure I saw the flag on the top of the castle flutter !! She apologised to all the customers outdoors then just went unashamedly about her business. How funny !! 

I’ve not mentioned the quality of the beer, probably no more than is to be expected from a Joule’s brewery establishment, the open mic nights on a Thursday, live music on a Saturday, free sausage rolls on a Friday….I could go on and on….

If you are in Tamworth and can only visit one pub make sure that it’s The Market Vaults. 

Comments

  1. Joule's pubs serve top notch beer and free sausage rolls allied to windy barmaids mean this place sounds more like it!
    Will be on my list most definitely

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment