Lighthouse Bar


 My most recent visit to The Lighthouse bar got off to a fairly inauspicious start. Firstly when I opened the door I was greeted by Celine Dion declaring that her heart will go on over the pub’s sound system and secondly I was told their solitary ale, their very own Lighthouse Amber Ale, had just run out. Further investigation confirmed that maybe their priorities were somewhat incorrect, whilst the ale was unavailable to drink the steak and ale pie ‘freshly made every day with our very own Lighthouse Amber Ale’ was indeed available. 

The pub is the former home of the Tamworth Electricity Company and for those of you building nerds it is a 1930’s Art Deco design. I guess the 450 capacity venue could be classed as multi purpose it’s a pub, a restaurant and a night club. 


The venue was relaunched in September 2020 as The Lighthouse having formerly been a Wetherspoons (The Silk Kite) and before that The Chicago Rock Cafe where Tamworth’s middled aged divorcees used to flock hoping to find ‘the one’ again and again and again…

The main reason for my visit was based on the superstitious nonsense that us sports fans are regularly capable of. It is a commonly held superstition in cricket when a batting partnership are well set then their teammates will not change their position in the dressing room remaining in their seats until the next wicket is taken ensuring that a move in position does not lead to a fall of wicket. Well I attempted the reverse of that, I heard news that Blues had gone one nil down away at Preston when I was at previous pub The Sheriff of Tamworth so contemplated whether a change of venues might cause a change of fortunes for my hapless team so I headed to The Lighthouse yes I know straws and clutching spring to mind. Well, ye of little faith look what happened…


Yep Blues got an unexpected equaliser. I stayed rooted to the spot for the remainder of the game !!

I stated earlier that this has always been a multi purpose venue and I did chuckle when I glanced over at the dance floor…


….when this was The Silk Kite during the day tables were placed on the dance floor and I clearly remember enjoying scampi and chips with my Mum and Dad on this spot. I can also remember with a degree of shame throwing a few shapes in the early hours of a Sunday morning after commencing drinking early Saturday afternoon. I can imagine that Strictly judge Craig Revel Horwood wouldn’t necessarily have described my routine as fab-u-lous dah-ling!! Saying that when the full time whistle went at the Blues game I was almost tempted to recreate some of my dance moves along to Mambo Number Five which was playing at the time, thankfully common sense prevailed !!

Young and old are clearly catered for at The Lighthouse, the young people of the ancient capital of Mercia can get absolutely wasted (or whatever the latest expression used by today’s youth for a state of inebriation currently is) by knocking back eight Jagerbombs for a tenner. Tamworth’s OAP’s are also given a warm welcome as while I was celebrating our magnificent draw Joyce and her friends were also raising a glass to the fact that she had just become an octogenarian. I will admit though the fact that their table was at the front of the pub and the loos are at the very back was probably a planning oversight !! 

The club prides itself on charity events and an upcoming one sounds a belter, an Auction of Love is to be held soon where willing female suitors can bid on ten lucky men for a date. Maybe Joyce will be on the front row looking to spend her birthday money !! 

The Lighthouse is a fun place with something for everyone. 



Comments

  1. Can you please go to The Lighthouse every Saturday afternoon for the next 12 weeks?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment