White Lion


The life of a pub blogger is never dull….I needed to walk past Bonds so I could capture a photo to use for the entry about that particular pub. Naturally I would normally do this at the time I visit but given the mayhem that occurred during my visit I was too scared to stand in front of the pub and take a photo given some of the main protagonists were also stood outside so I decided a walk by the next Monday was the less risky approach. 

My decision was a good one and buoyed by that I thought a visit to a rarely used pub on that side of town was the order of the day…..Prince must’ve been talking about life in Tamworth when he penned Manic Monday as once again a night out on the first day of the working week didn’t disappoint. 

I’ve not been in The White Lion for years, despite it being a reasonable place to watch sport (I watched the Froch v Groves bout here) I stopped using it when even to the very untrained eye it appeared that punters were using the cubicles for activities that they weren’t intended for and the staff turned a blind eye. However I’ve been told that the pub had changed its image, it certainly has…..the welcoming poster near the door gave me a few clues…


….I’m a modern man, it’s 2022 and I simply love musicals dah-ling so I ventured inside noticing the enticing drink offer as I nervously pushed opened the door…


A fairly small subdued group of customers were congregated at the end of the bar as I surveyed proceedings…


….The friendly barmaid asked me what I was drinking I played it safe and asked for a pint of Carling. She looked at me perplexed, ‘Wouldn’t you rather have a pint of Carlsberg for £1.50’? she enquired, ‘I’ll have to serve it to you in a plastic glass though’ she added with an apology, I nodded nervously. 

I quickly took my pint of ‘probably the best lager in the world’ and sat in a quiet corner. 


I didn’t realise at the time but I think in the pub with me was Trisha Birmingham and Jelly Cube, they were both in normal attire but were poised to get ready for their respective acts later. For the uninitiated this is a picture I believe of Jelly Cube…


Being an admirer of the female form and a real ale drinker I realised that The White Lion probably isn’t for me but it’s great that Tamworth has such a wide variety of different pubs, something for everyone. Long may it continue. 



Comments

  1. Plastic glasses are never a winner but...an open pub is better than a shut one and at least you can use the loos for their proper purpose now

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment